International Institute of information technology, Gachibowli, Hyderabad.
Phone: 91-40-23001967/9 Ext: ; Fax: 91-40-23001413
E-mail: bhaskarreddyATiiitDOTacDOTin; URL: http://www.iiit.ac.in/br/
Here is my resume[Doc]
Cropping Systems; Water Management; Integrated Nutrient Management
MSc, year, Institute and title
- PhD, year, Institute, and title
PhD, 1979, IIT, Kharagpur,
on soil and water management practices in Rice field affecting the
crop performance in different seasons".
MSc(Ag) Agronomy,1974, ANGRAU, Hyderabad.
"Performance of Maize crop under different cultural practices and soil moisture regimes".
Biography of Prof Bhaskar Reddy
Prof. B.Bhaskar Reddy is a faculty member at International Institute of
Information Technology (IIIT), Hyderabad, since November 2006. Prior to
that he was the Director, International Programmes, Acharya NG Ranga
Agricultual University (ANGRAU) Hyderabad. Dr. Reddy started his career as
Scientist, - S1 at CRRI, Cuttack through Agricultural Research Service
(ICAR) and developed agro-technology for rain-fed low land rice
Later as Agronomist at Jagtial, RARS, ANGRAU
developed the newly acquired farm and agro technologies for the important
crops grown in Northern Telangana Zone. Served as Associate Professor and
Head, Dept. of Agronomy at College of Agriculture, Rajendranagar,
Hyderabad where course contents for UG and PG courses were developed;
acted as Chairman for number of PG and PhD students. Developed wet
seeded rice, weed management, Integrated Nutrient Management (INM)
and rice based cropping systems in Godavari delta as Principal Scientist
(Rice Agronomy) at ARS, Maruteru.
As Associate Director of Research guided, monitored research, teaching, extension and training, besides other developmental activities in Northern Telangana Agro-Climatic Zone.
As Director International Programmes, liaised between ANGRAU and number
of universities abroad (USA, Netherlands, UK, Australia) in
developing mutually interested collaborative research, extension,
teaching, exchange of students and faculty and capacity buildings etc.
Collaborated with NRSA, APSRAC, ISRO, CADA, KRIBHCO, WALAMTARI, NFCL,
Department of Agriculture/Horticulture, Nationalised
banks; Visiting faculty at AIT, Bangkok and taught a course for M.Tech.
Students. Undergone training on Protected Cultivation in Arid, Semi-Arid
Regions at Jerusalem, Israel. 75 Research papers published in National /
International journals / presented in symposia; guided 9 M.Sc (Agro.)
and 6 Ph.D.s in Agronomy.
Best crop management practices (BCMP's) for rainfed rice lowland ecosystem, Aerobic rice, Wet seeded rice, Hybrid Rice; Low poly tunnel technology to combat cold injury in Rice nursery; NPK and Zinc management in lowland rice; INM and Rice based cropping systems were developed, demonstrated for large scale adoption by the farming community there by improving resource use efficiency at farmer's level.
Investigations were made on alleolopathic effect of sunflower; Organic matter recycling in inter cropping systems; Agro technology for summer Castor; Rabi Red gram production technology; Intercropping systems; Scheduling of irrigation and moisture conservation practices; Besides farming systems involving Sheep, Dairy, Poultry, Calves rearing,
Sericulture in order to popularize alternative rural livelihood
Academic achievements / recognitions / fellowships
Ranked first in University for securing 4 out of 4 OGPA at M Sc Ag in agronomy.
Junior Research fellow - CSIR
Qualified Agriculture Research Service in 1977
Two students secured gold medals for best PG theses
Best postal presentation at international symposium on Green To Gene Revolution organized by Directorate of Rice Research, ICAR at Hyderabad.
Acted as Taskforce member for More crop and income for drop of water / Cold chain road map development in INDIA
Acted as consultant agronomist for number of irrigation projects constituted by Central water commission, Govt of India.
Acted as team leader for Lab to land prograamme; Village adoption programme; AP3 irrigation project; APERP and Tank commandment
Courses taught / teaching
At IIIT, Hyderabad
Offered a HSSM course MG 4901 - Introduction to Crop Production Systems (ICPS) to B Tech Computer science and Electronics students.
Natural Resource Management - Sustainable Systems course is being offered during monsoon - 2008.
Agronomy courses such as Dryland agriculture; Water management; Sustainable agriculture; Crop production at undergraduate level
Principles of crop production; Efficient water use; Fertilizer use in crop production ; Advances in Rice production technology at PG level, College of Agriculture, Rajendranagar.
Developed course contents for the above PG courses
Key Projects completed / involved, if any
Actively associated in eSagu - An IT based personalized agro advisory system as Co Principal Investigator, a research project of IIIT, Hyderabad and Media Lab Asia, Govt of India.
Agronomic management for water logged and flood prone Rice areas.
Cropping systems for Sri Ram Sagar Project Command Area
Water management for Irrigated dry crops of Sri Ram Sagar Project Command Area
Rice based cropping systems for Castor / Groundnut / Maize / Sunflower after Rice
Allelopathic effect of Sunflower and its management in Sunflower based cropping systems
AP3 Irrigation Project
Andhra Pradesh Economic Restructuring Project on Tank Commands
Organic matter recycling of Rainfed cropping system in Vertisols
Intercropping systems in Rainfed and Irrigated situations
Key Technologies developed, if any
Suitability of varieties, Stand establishment, Fertilizer management technologies for Intermediate, Semi deep water and Flood prone Rice farming situations have been developed and demonstrated in farmer’s fields of Orissa state.
Varietal suitability for Rainfed and Irrigated Crops under different farming situations
Agro technologies on direct sown rice, fertilizer, weed and water management for irrigated dry crops
Alternative Crops and Production Technology for Rice based cropping systems
Inter Cropping Systems for Rainfed and Irrigated dry crops of NTZ
Irrigation Schedules for ID crops in Sri Ram Sagar Project Command Area
Hybrid rice production technologies for Sri Ram Sagar Project Command and Godavari delta
Poly Tunnel Technology to combat cold injury to rice nursery
Allelopathic effect of Sunflower and its management in Sunflower based cropping system
Urea solution Root zone Injector to improve nitrogen use efficiency in low land rice
- K.Anand Reddy, B.B. Reddy, K.Balaswamy and A.V.Chary (1978) Effect of soil moisture and organic mulches on corn planted in different patterns. Experimental Agriculture 14:389
- H.K. Pande.B.B.Reddy and K.S.Rao (1978) . Split application of nitrogen in low land rice. A Technique affecting fertilizer use efficiency. J.Agril.Res. and nutr. Dev, 1: 148-150.
- H.K.Pande and B.B.Reddy (1982) Rice cultivation system in water logged and flood prone area, International symposium on application of remote sensing for rice production, NRSA, Hyderabad.
- P.C. Mahapatra and B.B. Reddy (1982) varietal Management in flood prone and water logged rice fields. A case study. Oryza 19: 148-80.
- J.L.N. Rao, B.B.Reddy and V.R.Rao (1983) Rhyzosphere soil nitrogenase (C2 H2) reduction as influenced by the nitrogen management in intermediate deep water rice. J.Agric. Sci.Camb.10: 547 - 551.
- M.V. Rao, and B.B. Reddy (1983) Suitable rice varieties for late (Post flood) planting in low land areas. oryza 20: 260 - 262.
- D.P. Sinhababu, B.C.,Ghosh and M.M. Panda (1983) Effect of fish on growth and yield of rice under rice cum fish culture, Oryza 20: 144-150.
- J.L.N. Rao, B.B. Reddy, B.C. Ghosh and M.M. Panda (1984) Rhyzosphere soil nitrogenase (C2 H2 reduction) as influenced by plant density in Intermediate deep water rice. Plant & Soil. 78: 433-435.
- B.C. Ghosh and B.B. Reddy (1984) Effect of seed rate and variety on growth and Yield of rice under intermediate deep water situation (15-50 cm) . Indian J.Agric. Sci. 29: 72-76.
- B.B.Reddy and B.C. Ghosh (1984) Effect of seedling and hill density on the performance of rice under intermediate deep water conditions (15-50 cm) . Oryza 21:233 - 237.
- P.C. Mahapatra, B.B. Reddy, B.C. Ghosh and M.M Panda (1984) Variety and fertilizer management in flood prone and water logged areas for higher rice production. A case study. Andhra Agril. J.31: 303-307.
- M.V. Rao, B.B. Reddy and B.C.Ghosh (1984) Nitrogen management in direct sown intermediate deep water rice (15-50 cm) -1, Effect of form, method and time of N application on growth yield and N uptake. Pant and Soil 83:243-233
- B.B. Reddy, B.C. Ghosh and M.M. Panda (1985) Flood tolerance at different crop growth stages as effected by fertilizer application. Plant & Soil 83: 255-263.
- B.B. Reddy, B.C. Ghosh and M.D. Reddy (1987) Effect of transplanting date and seedling age on stand establishment and grain yield of rice in rainfed low land (intermediate deep water ) conditions. Expt.Agric. 23:201-206.
- B.C.Ghosh, B.B.Reddy, M.M. Panda and M.D.Reddy (1987) Response of direct seeded rice to nitrogen under intermediate deep water conditions. Indian J.Agronomy 57: 44-48.
- V.P .Rao, D. Raji Reddy, B.B.Reddy and K.Anand Reddy (1987) Studies on the production factors limiting groundnut yield under rainfed chelka soils of Northern Telangana. J.Res.A.P.A.U.. 15: 82-85.
- B.C.Ghosh, M.D.Reddy and B.B.Reddy (1988) Effect of seedling density on growth and yield of transplanted rice in an intermediate deep water situation. Thai .J.Agric.Sci.21: 12-21.
- M.D. Reddy, M.M.Panda, B.C. Ghosh and B.B.Reddy (1988) Effect of nitrogen fertilizer on yield and nitrogen concentration in grain and straw under semi-deep water conditions (51-100 cm). J.Agric.Sci.Camb. 110: 53-59.
- V.P.Rao. D.R.Reddy. B.B. Reddy and L.J. Rao (1990) performance of safflower genotypes at varying plant densities. J.Res.A.P.A.U. 18: 180-182.
- L.J. Rao , V.P. Rao., D.Raji Reddy and B.B. Reddy (1991)Performance of soybean varieties at different spacings and rhyzobium inoculation under rainfed conditions. J.Res.APAU.19
- B.B.Reddy, M.D. Reddy and D.R. Reddy (1992) Effect of age of seedlings on performance of late planted short duration rice (Oryza sativa) Indian. J.Agric.Sci.62 (12).
- B.B. Reddy, M.D. Reddy, B.C.Ghosh and M.M. Panda (1992) Effect of N and P fertilizer on submergence tolerance and yield of dry sown rice. J.Res.A.P.A.U. 20 (1) 1-3.
- D.R. Reddy, V.P.Rao, B.B.Reddy and L.J. Rao (1993) Response of pigeon pea varieties to N and P fertilization under rained conditions. J.Res. A.P.A.U 21 (3) 165-166.
- K.Venkanna, V. Praveen Rao, B.B. Reddy and P.S. Sarma (1994) Irrigation schedule for sunflower (Helianthus annus) based on pan evaporation. Indian J.Agric.Sci. 64(5)333-335.
- A.Manjula, V.P.Rao, B.B.Reddy and P.S.Sarma (1994) variation in crop coefficients as influenced by water deficits in Mustard J.water management 2(1&2)
- P.R.Reddy, B.B. Reddy, V.P.Rao and P.S.Sarma ((1996) Effect of water deficits at different crop growth periods on growth and yield of groundnut. J.Res. A.P.A.U. 24(2):147-149.
- B.B.Reddy, L.J.Rao and D.R.Reddy (1996) Response of Rice Varieties to nitrogen application during dry season J.of Research , ANGRAU. 24 (2) : 141.
- K. Radhika, B.B.Reddy and B. Bucha Reddy (1996) Studies on crop suitability for rainfed red chalka soils of Southern Telangana zone. J. Res. ANGRAU 24(2): 144-146.
- B.B.Reddy and D.Raji Reddy (1996) Performance of rice varieties under late planted conditions in wet season and their response to nitrogen. J. Res. ANGRAU 24(4)96-97.
- K.Rajasekhar and B.B.Reddy (1997) Effect of method and time of irrigation on sunflower in rice fallows. J. of Res. ANGRAU 25 .
- B.B.Reddy and D.Raji Reddy (1997) Paddy Root Zone Injector -A device to improve fertilizer nitrogen use efficiency in wet land rice. J.of Res. ANGRAU 25 .
- B.B. Reddy and B.Govardhan (1997) Performance of oil seed pulse crops after rice under different methods of irrigation in shallow water table conditions. Ind. J. of Oil Seeds Res.
- M.Malla Reddy and B.B.Reddy(1999) influence of method of land levelling, Seed treatment and time of N application on Nitrogen uptake at different stages of crop growth in wet seeded rice . The Andhra Agric. 46:106 - 107.
- M.Malla Reddy and B.B.Reddy (1999) Effect of land management practices on yield and weed dry matter in wet seeded rice. The Andhra Agric. 46(3&4) 276 -278.
- M.D. Abdurrahman, B.Seeling, T.T. Rego and B. Bhaskar Reddy (2000) Organic matter inputs by selected cropping systems on a vertisol in the semiarid tropics of India.
- M.D. Abdurrahman, B.Seeling, T.T. Rego and B. Bhaskar Reddy (2000) Nitrogen returns to soil by selected cropping systems on a vertisol in the semiarid tropics of India.
- E.A. Elasha, F.R. Bidinger and B. Bhaskar reddy (2001). Intercepted radiation as a tool to document plant population effects on leaf area and drymatter production in sorghum (Sorghum bicolar) . Indian J Agric sci. 71(7) :480-482.
Papers Presented in National / International / Regional Symposia / Workshop
- H.K. Pande and B.B.Reddy (1976) Climatic parameters influencing components of water losses in rice field. Agronomy News letter 8:5-10.
- H.K. Pande and B.B. Reddy (1977) Rice based cropping strategy for the flood prone areas of Eastern, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal, Assam and Orissa. Presented to National Flood Commission GOI, New Delhi.
- H.K. Pande and B.B. Reddy (1978) Cropping pattern for cyclone prone areas of A.P., a strategy for rice production. Presented in seminar on cyclone-causes damages and reconstruction. Organised by Institution of Engineers Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh.
- H.K. Pande and B.B. Reddy (1979) changes in cropping pattern to minimise the loss of crop due to flood and drainage congestion in coastal A.P. Seminar on flood, drainage, problems, measures to mitigate them. Organised by JAYCEES. Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh.
- B.N. Mittra and B.B. Reddy (1979) Water management in rice field presented at a task force meeting on water management in rice held at Cuttack.
- H.K. Pande and B.B. Reddy (1979) Rice production in relation to water availability. National symposium on plant response to water availability held at WTC. IARI, New Delhi.
- B.B. Reddy, M.D. Reddy and B.C. Ghosh (1982) Soil fertility and fertilizer management for rainfed low land rice. Presented in Special Task force meeting on rainfed lowland rice held at RAU, ARI Mithapur, Patna, Bihar.
- B.R. Reddy, L.J. Rao, D.Raji Reddy and V. Praveen Rao (1985) Improve the economic returns in Turmeric-Maize, inter cropping system through adoption of suitable package of practices. Turmeric Seminar. Proc. Ankasapur, Nizamabad (16th Decemeber).
- K. Anand Reddy. D.Raji Reddy, V. Praveen Rao, B.Joseph and B.B. Reddy (1986) Crop production strategies under changed situation in Nizamsagar ayacut. Presented at state level seminar on crop production strategies under Nizamsagar ayacut.
- B. Bhaskar Reddy, K. Ananda Reddy, D.Rajireddy and LJ.Rao (1986). Major farming systems in Northern Telangana Zone of AP- An overview. Paper presented at National seminar on efficient cropping zones of India, New Delhi, June 23-26.
- K. Ananda Reddy. D. Raji Reddy, V. Praveen Rao and B.B. Reddy (1987) Retrospect and prospect into irrigation projects. National Seminar on Integrated water management in A.P.Projects held at WALAMTARI, Hyderabad,AP.
- B.B. Reddy (1992) Water management in problem soils of A.P. Paper Presented at National workshop on water management in problem soils, Organised by WTC, New Delhi.
- K.V. Siva Kumar, B.B. Reddy, M.V.R. Seshasai and L.V. Ratnam (1994) Spectral response and growth variables of sunflower crop under different agronomic practices. Presented at National Symposium on remote sensing application In Agriculture held at Dehradun.
- K.Padmaja and B.B. Reddy (1998). Effect of nursery management on growth, yield and yield attributes of hybrid rice (APHR-2). Proc. Symp. on soil and water management for sustainable Production. Organised by Soc. Of Agronomists & ANGRAU. PP: 73-75
- K.Malla Reddy B. Bhaskar reddy and B. Bucha Reddy (1998). Economics of agronomic practices in wet seeded rice. Proc. Symp. on soil and water management for sustainable Production. Organised by Soc. Of Agronomists & ANGRAU. PP: 84-87
- B. Bhaskar Reddy (2001) Crop management strategies to mitigate the damages caused by cyclone, flood and water logging as a part of disaster management in Andhra Pradesh. Paper presented at National seminar on Help Your self as part of disaster management organised by Revenue relief department, Govt. of AP and AP academy of Rural development, 6th November, at Hyderabad.
- B. Bhaskar Reddy (2001) Shifts in crops, cropping systems diversification comparative and competitive advantage for Andhra Pradesh. Paper presented at 31st REAC meeting of ANGRAU on 29th and 30th November.
- B. Bhaskar Reddy (2001) "Neruga vari vitti pandinchutaku rythulu patinchavalacina yajamanya paddathulu". special paper prepared for circulation among the officers of Dept of agriculture due to prolonged dry spell during khraif 2001.
- P. Raghava Reddy and B. Bhaskar Reddy. Crop production strategies to mitigate the damage caused by cyclones for AP. Paper presented at South National Seminar of ISCAR at Hyderabad Nov 2001
- T. Pratima and B. Bhaskar Reddy (2001) Suitability of herbicides for transplanted rice in Godavari delta. Proc. Resource management for maximization of crop production.
- T. Pratima and B. Bhaskar Reddy (2001) Effect of nitrogen on growth and yield of rice genotypes. Proc. Resource management for maximization of crop production.
- S.N.Varuna Rekha and B. Bhaskar Reddy (2001) Integrated nutrient management in rice-rice-green manure cropping systems in Godavari delta. Proc. Resource management for maximization of crop production.
- B.Bhaskar Reddy, M. Singa Rao and M. Devender Reddy (2003). Irrigation sector reforms in Andhra Pradesh - Cropping Systems: Past experience and future research needs. Presented in Workshop on Agricultural Policies for the 21st Century from vision to action held under the joint auspices of IFPRI and ANGRAU on 15th to 16th April, 2003
- B. Bhaskar Reddy (2003) Crops and cropping system for tankfed areas in relation to water availability in Telangana region. Presented in Workshop on Irrigation Management, Crops and Cropping Systems under Project Commands (AP III Irrigation Project) held at ANGRAU, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad on 15th to 16th October, 2003.
- B. Bhaskar Reddy (2003) Water Management and Cropping Strategies for Nagarjuna Sagar Project Command Area. Presented in Workshop on Irrigation Management, Crops and Cropping Systems under Project Commands (AP III Irrigation Project) held at ANGRAU, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad on 15th to 16th October, 2003.
- B.B.Reddy (1979) an agronomist view on Bargi Irrigation project, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
- B.B.Reddy (1980) An agronomist view on Rengali Irrigation project. Dhenkanal. Orissa.
- B.B. Reddy (1981) An agronomic view on Kalimati minor irrigation project, Keaonijhar, Orissa.
- B.B. Reddy (1997) Protected Agriculture in arid and semi arid regions. Rehrot, Israel.
Books / Bulletins
- H.K.Pande and B.B. Reddy (1976) water management in Rice field. A review bulletin prepared in commemoration with silver jubilee year of III. Khharagpur.
- M.D. Reddy. A.R. Sharma. M.M. Panda. B.B. Reddy and B.C. Ghosh (1989) Agronomic management of rice under intermediate (15-50 cm) and semi-deep (51-100 cm) water conditions. A review bulletin on a decade of research carried out in water logged rice group at CRRI, Cuttack.